Friday, April 24, 2009

One of those lucky days

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009.
When you've got good luck like this one, who needs bad luck!


The weather outside was pretty cool for a summer day when I woke up at about 5:45AM. It had rained overnight and I could feel the fresh breeze outside. It seemed like a perfect weather for a long drive or may be a party or to just curl up on the couch, watch TV with a nice cup of tea by the side and since the following day was a holiday (23rd of April, voting day in Bangalore), I knew that people in office would see the lighter side of things. I'd successfully managed to crash my laptop the previous evening at the PTP Nokia office and I had to go to the SJR office the next day to have it re-configured. Re-configuring the system would usually take a day and so, I presumed this would be one of my lucky days since I would have pretty much nothing to do at the work place.

Quite clearly, the atmosphere around was pretty casual and so, I decided to dress up in casuals. I chose to wear this nice dark maroon half-sleeve Party Wear Shirt (That is what my dad had to say to sell the shirt to me when he'd got it from Mumbai), made of some very nice linen material and a faded Levis jean to go with the shirt and sport a sublime look.
While pressing the shirt, I noticed that the second button from the top looked like it was just about hanging in there. It looked like the button might come off any moment and it had to be fixed. But I was in a hurry that morning, I had to collect my passport from the
Frazer Town post office at 7:00AM before boarding the office cab at 7:15AM and so, I left the button as it was and I knew I had to keep an eye out for it and be very careful while using it.

The drive to the post office was very nice, the weather was perfect. I was still very weary about the button, but then again, a wardrobe malfunction could happen to anyone and in the past, people who've had a wardrobe malfunction have become famous, its a sort of thing that makes a few of them famous. So, if it happened to me, I'd join the likes of Carol Gracias, Kareena Kapoor etc.

I'd stroked a chord with many in office that day, since most of them, like me, seemed relaxed and had dressed casually too. I had a nice breakfast, handed over my laptop to the IT Service for restoration and I'd settled down with my other system to surf a bit around the internet and check mails. The one thing that I don't fail to do first-up is to check the weekly horoscope by
Rochelle Gordon and that very day, as the horoscope said, was my lucky day for the week. So, chancing my arms around was affordable, nothing could go wrong.

Naresh, my team mate, agreed to lend me his laptop and use his other system for that day. I had to download some S60 stuff which would usually take about 5 hours complete. At about 10:00AM, I triggered the download and then I wanted to grab a cup of tea before settling down to surf the net. I was on my way to the cafeteria and as luck would have it, the button came off the shirt. There it was, my first Wardrobe Malfunction. Believe me, not even my thoughts of Kareena Kapoor and Carol Gracias could stop me from feeling embarrassed.

I had to fix this problem and fix it in a hurry. Just then, I realized there is a Raymond's Shop just adjacent to the SJR building. So, I hurried over to the shop, picked up a T-Shirt,
which actually looked pretty cool, went into the rest room at the SJR basement to have my shirt changed. While entering the change room, my access card holder got stuck to the door knob and it broke. I'd broken a card holder about 2 months back and this was the second one that I broke. What a lucky day!

Once I had my shirt changed and the access card holder replaced, I thought things would be back to normal. But, I had thought too soon. At about 11:45AM, just about when the download that I'd triggered on Naresh's System was nearing completion, my bad luck came back to haunt me again. Naresh's laptop threw up the blue screen of death.

How could this happen? This was supposed to be my lucky day. First, the button comes off, then the access card holder breaks and then, I manage to crash the second laptop in two consecutive days. But it wasn't over yet. Later that day, I found out from the IT Services that my laptop restoration would take another day to complete. I had no other choice but to leave it with them until I could get it back on Friday, the 24th.

Fortunately, Naresh's laptop had been restored at around 3:30PM. And then, my stroke of good luck had finally come. I had a friend at work place by the name Raghu. He had quit his services with the company about 8 months back. I got call from Raghu at around 4:00PM and he had called me up to let me know that he had transferred Rs. 1000 to my account. Supposedly, he had borrowed some money from me long ago. So long ago, that I didn't even remember lending it to him. But, you see, this was my lucky day after all. Things had to come around.

Nevertheless, it was a very eventful day. Four blows followed by glimpses of good luck. And about the wardrobe malfunction, well, we'd have to agree that it is a sort of thing that happens with the celebrities.

2 comments:

  1. good one..but for you to be a celeb..people had to see it happen and someone else takes that pic, well you can arrange that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    Why do think I went in for a change of shirt, people started noticing :(
    BTW, you're getting to be very good with the camera.

    ReplyDelete